Connect with us

Archaeology

Evidence of violent attack on the Castrum Iudeorum Jewish quarter

Published

on

Archaeologists from the University of León have discovered evidence of a violent attack on the Jewish quarter at Puente Castro, dating back to the 12th century AD.

During the Middle Ages, an artificial platform on the outskirts of Leon was designated for Jewish residents, known then as the Castrum Iudeorum.

Castrum Iudeorum was one of the most significant Jewish quarters in the Christian kingdoms, strategically overseeing the bridge crossing over the Torio River.

In 1196, political tensions between the kingdoms of León and Castile resulted in the Castilians and Aragonese laying siege to the quarter.

The conflict was caused by the division of territory by Alfonso VII of León and Castile, who divided his kingdoms between his sons. This division set the stage for conflict between family members until the kingdoms were re-united by Alfonso VIII’s grandson, Ferdinand III of Castile.

According to contemporary chronicles, the siege led to the complete destruction of Castrum Iudeorum, which was abandoned and later dismantled.

Historians have long been skeptical as to the extent of the attack, but recent excavations have revealed new evidence that confirms the violent events that led to the destruction of Castrum Iudeorum.

Raquel Martínez Peñín and Carlos Fernández Rodríguez, said: “The large number of arrowheads found scattered throughout the site highlights the magnitude of the siege. Additionally, the discovery of chain mail fragments, spearheads, and crossbow bolts supports the accounts described in historical chronicles.”

Header Image Credit : University of Leon

Sources : University of Leon

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Archaeology

Guardian statue uncovered at Banteay Prey Nokor

Published

on

By

Archaeologists from the APSARA National Authority have uncovered a guardian statue at the Banteay Prey Nokor temple complex in Kompong Cham, Cambodia.

Known locally as the temple of “Wat Nokor in Khum of Kompong Siem”, or “Wat Angkor”, Banteay Prey Nokor was constructed during the reign of Jayavarman VII (AD 1181–1218), the first king devoted to Buddhism in the Khmer Empire.

The complex covers an area of 37 acres and consists of a central tower surrounded by four laterite wall enclosures made from sandstone and laterite.

In addition to being the largest ancient temple complex in Kampong Cham Province, it has several distinguishing features. One of the most notable is its construction from black sandstone, which sets it apart from other temples of the period, typically built from brick or reddish sandstone.

Image Credit : Phouk Chea / Chea Sarith

Archaeologists from the Department of Preservation and Archaeology at the APSARA Authority recently excavated one of the gateways of Banteay Prey Nokor, clearing away layers of rubble from the collapsed upper structure.

Upon removing the rubble material, a guardian door statue was uncovered to the right of the eastern entrance to the gateway. The statue is broken into six pieces – breaking at the neck, the left forearm, the waist, and below the knees of both legs.

According to the researchers, the statue, which originally stood at a height of around 1.6 metres, is of the Bayon style, in reference to the Bayon state temple of Jayavarman VII at the centre of Jayavarman’s capital, Angkor Thom.

“The sandstone gate guardian will now be stored at the Preah Norodom Sihanouk-Angkor Museum,” Angkor Wat’s heritage police said in a statement. “It will be preserved and studied further.”

Header Image Credit : Phouk Chea / Chea Sarith

Sources : APSARA National Authority

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Archaeology

Sacred chapel destroyed during German Peasants’ War rediscovered

Published

on

By

Archaeologists from the State Office for Monument Preservation and Archaeology (LDA) of Saxony-Anhalt have rediscovered the Mallerbach Chapel at the site of the Kaltenborn monastery.

Between 1524 to 1525, a large number of peasants, urban lower classes, and lesser nobles living in the German-speaking areas in Central Europe rebelled against a combination of economic, social, and religious factors. These include:

Economic hardship and inequality: Peasants faced heavy burdens from taxes, dues, and rents imposed by landlords, the church, and secular rulers.

Feudal oppression: Many peasants grew increasingly resentful of the limitations placed on their freedoms by feudal lords, including restrictions on hunting, fishing, and access to communal lands.

Religious influence: The Reformation inspired many peasants who saw in it a call for social and economic reform against a corrupt church.

Legal grievances: Peasants sought greater control over local governance and justice. They were frustrated by the arbitrary decisions made by their lords and demanded more influence over the laws and rules that governed their daily lives.

Image Credit : LDA

Following the outbreak of the Peasants’ War, insurgents from the nearby villages of Riestedt and Emseloh plundered the Kaltenborn monastery near Allstedt in the German district of Mansfeld-Südharz, leading to the monastery’s decline and eventual dissolution in 1538.

According to a press statement by the LDA: “It’s destruction – an act of rebellion against the Cistercian convent of Naundorf, which was in charge of the Chapel of St. Mary and to which the Allstedt residents were subject to taxes – can be seen as the first flare-up and harbinger of the coming uprising of the ‘common man’ against the authorities.”

Recent excavations at the monastery site have located the 12th/13th century Mallerbach chapel, a sacred place of worship for pilgrims who came to witness a weeping image of the Virgin Mary.

Archaeologists have uncovered the original floor plan of the chapel, which measures around 17 metres in length with a rectangular choir and semicircular apse. Excavations have also found the altar foundations, as well as traces of burning from the time of the German Peasants’ War.

Header Image Credit : LDA

Sources : State Office for Monument Preservation and Archaeology (LDA)

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Trending

Generated by Feedzy