Connect with us

Archaeology

Traces of the 13th Legion Gemina found in Vienna

Published

on

Excavations by the Vienna City Archaeology department have uncovered traces of the 13th Legion Gemina during excavations in preparation for development at the Kindermanngasse Elementary School in Vienna.

The 13th Legion Gemina (Legio XIII Gemina) was a legion of the Roman Imperial army levied by Julius Caesar in 57 BC.

The legion remained faithful to Caesar during his civil war against the conservative Optimates faction of the senate, and accompanied Caesar when he famously crossed the Rubicon in 49 BC to march on Rome.

The legion was involved in numerous campaigns and major battles during the centuries, including the Gallic Wars, the Battle of Actium, and the Dacian wars.

The last recorded mention of the legion dates to the 6th century AD, with the Notitia Dignitatum, a detailed administrative document of the Late Roman Empire, noting that the legion was garrisoned at the Babylon Fortress in the former area of the Heliopolite Nome, situated upon the east bank of the Nile in Egypt.

Excavations at the Kindermanngasse Elementary School (the 4th oldest school in Vienna) have found evidence of a large-scale Roman building dated to the 2nd century AD.

One of the excavation trenches found a pit filled with bricks, which according to the researchers are remnants of pilae stacks used to raise the floor for a hypocaust heating system.

Upon closer inspection, archaeologists found that the bricks are stamped with the name of Legio XIII Gemina, providing conclusive proof that the legion was responsible for construction of the legionary camps at Roman Vindobona (Vienna) around AD 97.

Archaeologists also discovered remnants of post holes, pits, and ovens, along with indications of additional Roman structures. Moreover, they uncovered archaeological contexts dating from the medieval and early modern period.

Header Image Credit : Vienna City Archaeology

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Archaeology

Recent findings shed light on the “Lost Colony” of Roanoke

Published

on

By

Ongoing excavations by archaeologists from The First Colony Foundation have revealed new findings on the historical narrative of the “Lost Colony” of Roanoke.

The Roanoke Colony refers to two colonisation attempts in North America by Sir Walter Raleigh during the 16th century.

Raleigh’s aim was to stake England’s claim to the largely unknown (to Europeans) landmass of North America, and from which he could launch raids on the Spanish West Indies and annual treasure fleets.

The first attempt was made in 1585 on Roanoke Island, located in present-day Dare County, North Carolina.

According to accounts by the returning expedition leaders, the colonists had established friendly relations with the indigenous people (the Secotan), describing the land as “pleasant and bountiful.”

In reality, the colony was troubled by a lack of supplies and poor relations with the Native Americans, resulting in the colony being abandoned in 1586.

A second attempt was made in 1587 in the area of Chesapeake Bay, however, upon returning to the colony in 1590, it was found fortified with a palisade and that the settlers had vanished without a trace.

The search for what happened to the English settlers has recently focused on the Elizabethan Gardens in the town of Manteo, where archaeologists have uncovered evidence of a farmstead belonging to the “Algonquian village of Roanoke” (also spelled Roanoac), an Indigenous community that hosted the settlers in 1584.

Excavations in March 2024 have uncovered shards of Algonquian pottery dating back to the 1500s, along with a ring of copper wire (made of drawn copper) likely worn by an Algonquian warrior.

Archaeologists speculate that the ring was brought to North America by the English settlers and traded with the indigenous people who believed that copper had spiritual significance.

“Finding domestic pottery—the type used for cooking—in close proximity to an apparent piece of Native American jewellery strongly confirms we are digging in the midst of a settlement,” said Dr. Eric Klingelhofer, the First Colony Foundation’s Vice President of Research. “And Roanoac is the only known village at that site. The copper ring indicates contact with the English,” added Klingelhofer.

Previous excavations suggest that the village had a palisade with around nine internal houses for the elite warrior class. Those of a lower status or working class lived outside the palisade on farmsteads where they worked the land raising crops.

“The new findings confirm a theory that matches what we know of the village,” added Klingelhofer. “It was described as a palisaded village because the explorers came here and recorded it. And these findings add to our story.”

Another exploration is scheduled for the summer of 2024 at nearby Fort Raleigh National Historic Site. The goal is to find evidence of the colonists’ original settlement.

Header Image Credit : John Parker Davis – Public Domain

Sources : The First Colony Foundation

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Archaeology

Excavation finds unique collection of fabrics and shoes from the 16th-17th century

Published

on

By

Archaeologists excavating in Toruń, Poland, have uncovered unique collection of fabrics and shoes from the 16th-17th century.

The discovery was made during the construction of a new film studio in Toruń, revealing well preserved shoes, silk fabrics, fragments of pleated dresses, and lacewings with floral ornaments.

According to the archaeologists, this is the largest collection of found fabrics and footwear ever discovered in Europe from the 16th to 17th century.

Previous studies have mainly found silk fabrics in church crypts and tombs, however, these have been found in small fragments and rarely survive. According to the researchers, the volume of objects found in a well-preserved state suggest that a shoemakers or tailors (or both) was in proximity to the excavation site.

Toruń is one of the oldest cities in Poland with its roots tracing back to the 8th century AD. For centuries the city was home to people of diverse backgrounds and religious faiths, emerging as a trading hub in the Hanseatic League.

The Hanseatic League was a commercial and defensive network of merchant guilds and market towns in Central and Northern Europe. During its peak, the Hanseatic League dominated maritime trade in the North and Baltic Seas, with outposts in numerous towns and cities across Europe.

Archaeologist Mariusz Ciszak, said: “Toruń had extensive contacts throughout Europe. Various types of horn products, metal products, ceramics, fabrics and leather confirm the high-class production of Toruń craftsmen and extensive trade contacts. This city connected the East with the West, it was the centre of the economic and political life of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth at that time”.

Ciszak emphasised that the fabrics and shoes demonstrate that Toruń was one of the most important Hanseatic cities.

Header Image Credit : Tytus Żmijewski

Sources : PAP

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Trending

Generated by Feedzy