Connect with us

Archaeology

Republican era domus found in Rome

Published

on

Archaeologists have discovered an ornately decorated Roman domus between Rome’s Palatine Hill and the forum.

According to a statement by the Culture Ministry, the Colosseum Archaeological Park’s research project uncovered the structure within the vicinity of the Horrea Agrippiana warehouse complex along the Vicus Tuscus.

The domus was built in multiple phases, between the late 2nd century BC and the end of the 1st century BC during Rome’s Republican age.

Encircling an atrium/garden is the most impressive feature of the structure – the “specus aestivus”, a space for entertaining and banqueting. The specus aestivus has been designed to  replicate a grotto, which was initially adorned with impressive water features, facilitated by the presence of fistulas (lead pipes) running through the walls.

Alfonsina Russo, director of the Colosseum Archaeological Park, said: “The discovery confirms what ancient sources said about the presence of extensive residences of representatives of Roman senatorial families in the northwestern area of ​​the Palatine.”

Also uncovered is a “rustic” wall mosaic from the 2nd century BC, which depicts possible naval scenes and imagery of conflict, suggesting that the domus owner was a high status nobleman or soldier. The mosaic has been made using sea shells, Egyptian blue tesserae, precious glass, tiny fragments of marble and other coloured stones.

Within the four delineated sections demarcated by pilasters (columns with square bases affixed to the wall) are depictions of weaponry, trumpets, and ship prows embellished with tridents and rudders, alluding to a dual triumph both on land and at sea. The large upper bezel also depicts a representation of a city overlooking a sea, crossed by three large ships, one of which has its sails raised.

“We will work intensely to make this place, among the most evocative of ancient Rome, accessible to the public as soon as possible,” added Russo.

Header Image Credit : Ministry of Culture

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Archaeology

Archaeologists may have discovered the lost city of Tu’am

Published

on

By

Excavations in the Umm Al Quwain area of the UAE have revealed 6th century ruins that could be the lost city of Tu’am.

The ruins are situated on Al Sinniyah Island, part of a collection of small islands on the western part of the Khor Al Bidiyah peninsula.

Previous studies on the island have revealed a pearling village and monastery, which has been the focus of the latest season of excavations.

Archaeologists have discovered evidence of a larger settlement, with the earliest signs of occupation dating back to the 4th century AD and peaking in the 5th or 6th century.

The team uncovered traces of large semi-urbanised tenement buildings measuring 30 square metres, which are tightly packed around narrow walkways. According to the researchers, the settlement could be the lost city of Tu’am as described in Ancient Arab texts.

Tu’am was a regional capital on the Gulf coast that was famed for its pearl fishing industry and trade in precious gems.

The population went into decline following a plague and regional tensions, and subsequently was abandoned. Mass graves in the vicinity support the historical account of plague, as the skeletal remains show no evidence of trauma or a violent death.

“Our archaeological work has discovered the largest settlement by far ever found on the Gulf coast of the Emirates,” said Prof Tim Power of UAE University.

“And it’s exactly the right period for the city described in the early Islamic geographical sources. It’s clearly a really important place. No one has ever found it.”

Professor Power explained that while they have not found irrefutable evidence (such as an inscription bearing the town’s name), no other major settlements from this period have been discovered on the coast, strengthening the argument that the settlement is Tu’am. “It’s a process of elimination,” he explained.

Header Image Credit : Umm Al Quwain Department of Tourism and Archaeology

Sources : NUAE

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Archaeology

New findings in North America’s first city

Published

on

By

Cahokia was the largest urban settlement of the Mississippian culture, a mound-building pre-Columbian civilisation that emerged in the Midwestern, Eastern, and South-eastern United States.

Archaeological evidence suggests that the city was founded around AD 1050 along the banks of the Mississippi River, located near present-day St. Louis, Missouri.

The city covered an area between six to nine square miles (notably larger than many contemporary European cities such as London) and was home to up to 20,000 inhabitants at its peak.

Following the tradition of the Mississippian culture, the people of Cahokia constructed large earthen mounds – ranging from raised platforms, conical, and ridge-top designs – involving the movement of 55 million cubic feet of earth over a period that lasted several decades.

The largest mound is known as “Monks Mound,” named after a group of Trappist monks, which rises to a height of 290 metres and was once the tallest building construction in North America.

Image Credit : MattGush – iStock

Archaeologists and students from Saint Louis University (SLU) have recently conducted a series of excavations on the western periphery of the Cahokia Mounds.

The team unearthed 900-year-old ceramics, microdrills, structures, and wall trenches dating from around AD 1100 to 1200, during the Sterling Phase of the Mississippian Period. According to the archaeologists, the finds offer new insights into a crucial period in the chiefdom’s development, coinciding with Cahokia’s rapid population growth.

The excavations follow an aerial survey by SLU and the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency using Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) to conduct Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) to determine whether further mounds or archaeological features lie within the acres of thick forests and swampy land near the site’s main complex.

Header Image Credit : Alamy

Sources : KSDK

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Trending

Generated by Feedzy