Connect with us

Archaeology

Truncated conical tombs found in Chapultepec Forest

Published

on

Archaeologists from the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) have uncovered 3,000-year-old truncated conical tombs on the edge of the Chapultepec Forest.

Chapultepec Forest is one of the largest city parks in Mexico City, centred on a natural rock formation called Chapultepec Hill. The Toltecs named the area “grasshopper hill”, which would later be named Chapoltepēc in Nahuatl, meaning “at the grasshopper hill”.

During the Classic Period, the region was inhabited by the Teotihuacan culture, with later evidence of the Tepanecas of Azcapotzalco and the Mexica (Aztecs).

When the Mexica took control of the Valley of Mexico, the hill was considered sacred and was used as a repository for the ashes of their rulers.

Image Credit : INAH

The hill would later be the location of one of the last major battles between the Mexica and the Spanish conquistadors, with the Spanish constructing the Chapultepec Castle in 1785 as a summer retreat for colonial viceroys.

Recent excavations in the vicinity of Constituciónntes Avenue uncovered 12 truncated conical tombs dating from 3,000-years-ago during the Preclassic period (1200-400 BC) and the Early Preclassic period (2500-1200 BC). Five of the tombs contained deposits of human remains, four of which are female and one is male, all of which are positioned in a flexed form.

Excavations also discovered funerary offerings consisting of deer antlers worked as tools, a concave-convex cup, a fragment of a slate disc, effigy vessels and female figurines.

According to the researchers: “All of this evidence accounts for the complexity of social practices and productive activities, such as agriculture, pottery and construction in the Preclassic, when many of the characteristic features of Mesoamerican societies that would remain in subsequent centuries.”

Header Image Credit : INAH

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Archaeology

Giant catapult shots discovered from siege of Kenilworth Castle

Published

on

By

Archaeologists have uncovered eight 13th century catapult shots from the 1266 siege of Kenilworth Castle.

Kenilworth Castle, located in the town of Kenilworth in Warwickshire, England, is both a semi-royal palace and historic fortress.

Founded in the 1120s, the castle was the scene of the removal of Edward II from the English throne and the Earl of Leicester’s reception of Elizabeth I in 1575.

During the First Civil War (1642 to 1646), Kenilworth formed a useful counterbalance to the Parliamentary stronghold of Warwick. Following the defeat of royalist forces, Parliament ordered the slighting of Kenilworth 1649, leaving the castle a romantic ruin and popular tourist attraction over the centuries.

Recent works to improve a pathway on castle grounds has led to the discovery of eight giant catapult shots. According to the archaeologists, the shots date from the Siege of Kenilworth (1266), a six-month siege of the castle during the Second Barons’ War.

The conflict was between a number of barons led by Simon de Montfort (who had custody of Kenilworth Castle) against the royalist forces of King Henry III, and later his son, the future King Edward I.

Image Credit : English Heritage

According to historical accounts, the siege was the largest to occur in Medieval England and involved numerous “turres ligneas” (wooden towers), trebuchets, and catapults which fired the giant shots.

The shots are of varying sizes, with the largest weighing 105 kg and the smallest just 1 kg. “’These would have caused some serious damage when fired from war machines. Records show that one of Henry III’s wooden siege towers, containing around 200 crossbowmen, was destroyed by just one well-aimed missile,” said Will Wyeth, English Heritage’s Properties Historian.

Header Image Credit : English Heritage

Sources : English Heritage

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Archaeology

Sappers clear over 4,700 dangerous objects from WWII

Published

on

By

A team of sappers under archaeological supervision have cleared over 4,700 dangerous objects from WWII on the Westerplatte Peninsula in Gdańsk, Poland.

Situated at the mouth of the Dead Vistula on the Baltic Sea coast, the peninsula was the site of the Battle of Westerplatte, one of the initial clashes between Polish and German forces during the invasion of Poland in WWII.

The Polish garrison held out for seven days, repelling thirteen German assaults. The battle became a symbol of Polish resistance, tying up substantial German forces at Westerplatte and preventing over 3,000 German soldiers from providing fire support in the nearby battles of Hel and Gdynia.

Image Credit : The Museum of the Second World War in Gdańsk

The Museum of the Second World War in Gdańsk led the clearing of the Westerplatte area, working in conjunction with soldiers from the 43rd Naval Sapper Battalion, the Engineer Battalion Sapper Company from the 2nd Sapper Regiment from Kazuń Nowy, and a team of archaeologists to supervise and document any archaeological material.

The clearance works have uncovered over 4,700 dangerous objects in the duration of the project along with 180 historical artefacts.

“To date, specialists have penetrated an area of ​​over 13.5 hectares, resulting in the discovery of over 4,700 dangerous objects, including 3 air bombs, one of which weighing 500 kg was located only 30 cm below the ground surface ” – said the head of the Archaeological Department of the Museum of the Second World War in Gdańsk, Filip Kuczma.

Some of these objects include almost 200 artillery shells, mortar and hand grenades, and small arms ammunition. Other WWII objects include elements from the soldier’s uniforms, lead seals, and parts of the railway infrastructure in Westerplatte.

The team also uncovered cannonballs, musket shells, coins, decorative stove tiles, and ceramics from the time of the War of the Polish succession (1733 to 1738) and the Napoleonic period (1799 to 1815).

Header Image Credit : The Museum of the Second World War in Gdańsk

Sources : The Museum of the Second World War in Gdańsk

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Trending

Generated by Feedzy