Archaeologists conducting excavations in Lublin’s Old Town have found the remains of a medieval tower which is apparent in works by Braun and Hogenberg, known as the “Theatrum praecipuarum totius mundi urbiurti”.
Evidence of the tower was identified on a fragment of the town’s defensive wall at the tenement house at ul. Jezuicka, located in Lublin’s Old Town, Poland. The tower has four sides and appears in the panorama of Lublin by Braun and Hogenberg, which was published in Cologne in 1618.
The panorama shows the tower near the Dung gate, close to the presbytery of the Jesuit monastery church, which today is the Lublin archcathedral of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist, consecrated in 1604.
Dariusz Kopciowski, the Lublin voivodeship conservator of monuments, said: “This tower was most likely mentioned in the privilege of Stefan Batory granted to the Jesuits in 1585. This privilege allowed the construction of a Jesuit complex outside the city walls from the south, along with permission to use several defensive works existing in this section – including the Jesuit Gate, the semi-circular tower, and the quadrilateral tower in question.”
Image Credit : Lublin Provincial Conservator of Monuments
Construction of the town’s fortifications were commissioned by Casimir III the Great (King of Poland from 1333 to 1370), who built a large stone castle in 1341 and encircled the city with defensive walls. However, by the 16th to 17th century, the city walls were mainly obsolete and most were demolished by the 19th century as the city expanded.
“Parallel to the archaeological works, architectural and conservation research is being carried out, during which further remains of the tower and the Lublin fortification system will be located,” added Kopciowski.
Header Image – Braun and Hogenberg’s “Theatrum praecipuarum totius mundi urbiurti”
Maya tomb with funerary offerings found during hotel construction
A tomb with funerary offerings has been uncovered during the construction of the Tren Maya Hotel, in Palenque, Mexico.
Archaeologists from the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) conducted rescue excavations following the discovery, revealing skeletal remains associated with the Maya city of Palenque.
Palenque, also known as Lakamha in the Itza Language (meaning “Flat-Place-River”), is located near the Usumacinta River in the Mexican state of Chiapas.
The city dates from 226 BC to AD 799, with most of the major construction works representing a rebuilding effort in response to attacks by the city of Calakmul and its client states in AD 599 and AD 611.
The population declined during the 8th century AD, instead becoming an agricultural population that led to the abandonment of the city zone. By 1520 following the Spanish conquest, contemporary Spanish accounts record the entire region being sparsely populated.
Excavations uncovered a stone lined funerary space sealed with limestone slabs, in which the researchers found the remains of a high-status individual who likely lived in the periphery of Palenque in a small settlement.
The burial is located at a depth of four metres, and also contained ceramic vessels and beads deposited as funerary offerings.
“The individual was placed face up with his legs extended and his head facing north,” said Diego Prieto Hernández from INAH.
The discovery was announced in a press conference reporting on the progress of the Program for the Improvement of Archaeological Zones (Promeza) in Palenque, Moral-Reforma and El Tigre, the three heritage sites that are served within Section 1 of the Mayan Train Project.
Header Image Credit : INAH
Archaeologists unearth possible birthplace of King Henry VII at Pembroke Castle
Archaeologists from the Dyfed Archaeological Trust may have discovered the possible birthplace of King Henry VII at Pembroke Castle in Pembrokeshire, Wales.
Pembroke Castle was founded during the 11th century by Roger de Montgomerie, the 1st Earl of Shrewsbury.
In 1452, Jasper Tudor was presented both the castle and the earldom by his half-brother, King Henry VI. In 1457, Henry VII was born at the castle, the only child of Lady Margaret Beaufort and Edmund Tudor, 1st Earl of Richmond.
Following Edward IV’s ascension to the throne in 1471, Henry VII endured 14 years of exile in Brittany. He eventually claimed the throne after his forces, with backing from France, Scotland, and Wales, emerged victorious over Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth Field, marking the climax of the Wars of the Roses.
Henry VII’s reign is credited with many administrative, economic, and tax reforms, having ruled for nearly 24 years until his death in 1509 at the age of 52. Henry VII was succeed by his second son, Henry, Duke of York, who ascended to the crown as Henry VIII.
Historians have long assumed that a 13th century tower on the outer ward (known today as Henry VII Tower) was the birth place of Henry VII. However, a recent study by the Dyfed Archaeological Trust has uncovered evidence of a late-medieval winged hall-house, broadly dating to the 15th century.
The walls of the structure extend to around 25 metres, with comparisons being drawn to medieval buildings found in England and East Wales, such as Penallt Mansion in Kidwelly. Historically, Pembroke Castle was situated in the English-speaking portion of Pembrokeshire, often referred to as “Little England beyond Wales.”
Speaking to the Western Telegraph, Neil Ludlow, a consultant to Pembroke Castle, said: “All our indications are pointing to a late-medieval building which was clearly of high status within Pembrokeshire, and it looks as if it was at least two-storeys, which possibly makes it a better candidate for the birthplace of a king rather that the tower that currently bears his name.”
Ghosts1 year ago
Zozo: The Ouija Board Demon
Space12 months ago
Scientists claim to have found the answer what existed before the Universe
Archaeology7 months ago
New discoveries at Ekʼ Balam during conservation works
Ghosts1 year ago
Old Coot of Mount Greylock
Ghosts1 year ago
Jumbee: Demons of the Caribbean