Archaeologists from the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) have uncovered a Teotihuacano village in the Tlatelolco area of Mexico City.
The village dates from around AD 450-650 during the Classic period in the Late Xolalpan-Metepec phases, when the city of Teotihuacán had reached the apogee of influence in Mesoamerica.
At this time, Teotihuacán is estimated to have had a population of around 125,000 inhabitants and was among the largest cities in the ancient world, containing 2,000 buildings within an area of 18 square kilometres.
The village was first identified in the 1960’s during construction works, but recent excavations have now uncovered architectural elements, stone alignments, post holes, three human burials with funerary offerings, and large concentrations of ceramics.
Despite the village being located in a rural context, it likely had links of exchange and dependency with other Teotihuacán governing centres on the western shore of Lake Texcoco.
According to the researchers, the village inhabitants survived on self-subsistence and gathering, and was also a centre for the production of quality ceramics and artisan objects based on the discovery of figurines, green stone artefacts, funerary offerings, and various obsidian and flint projectile points.
Through test pits and extensive excavations, evidence of Aztec occupation in the Late Postclassic Period has also been identified, in addition to layers that date from the 18th, 19th, and 20th century AD.
Archaeologists also found a series of channels that delimited chinampería spaces, a method of agricultural expansion used by the Aztecs in Lake Texcoco for growing plants and vegetables.
Within the channels, the team found several deposits of ceramic vessels, a headless seated sculpture, and complete and semi-complete objects that date from the Late Aztec III Period (AD 1440-1521).
Header Image Credit : Marisol Bautista Roquez
Maya tomb with funerary offerings found during hotel construction
A tomb with funerary offerings has been uncovered during the construction of the Tren Maya Hotel, in Palenque, Mexico.
Archaeologists from the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) conducted rescue excavations following the discovery, revealing skeletal remains associated with the Maya city of Palenque.
Palenque, also known as Lakamha in the Itza Language (meaning “Flat-Place-River”), is located near the Usumacinta River in the Mexican state of Chiapas.
The city dates from 226 BC to AD 799, with most of the major construction works representing a rebuilding effort in response to attacks by the city of Calakmul and its client states in AD 599 and AD 611.
The population declined during the 8th century AD, instead becoming an agricultural population that led to the abandonment of the city zone. By 1520 following the Spanish conquest, contemporary Spanish accounts record the entire region being sparsely populated.
Excavations uncovered a stone lined funerary space sealed with limestone slabs, in which the researchers found the remains of a high-status individual who likely lived in the periphery of Palenque in a small settlement.
The burial is located at a depth of four metres, and also contained ceramic vessels and beads deposited as funerary offerings.
“The individual was placed face up with his legs extended and his head facing north,” said Diego Prieto Hernández from INAH.
The discovery was announced in a press conference reporting on the progress of the Program for the Improvement of Archaeological Zones (Promeza) in Palenque, Moral-Reforma and El Tigre, the three heritage sites that are served within Section 1 of the Mayan Train Project.
Header Image Credit : INAH
Archaeologists unearth possible birthplace of King Henry VII at Pembroke Castle
Archaeologists from the Dyfed Archaeological Trust may have discovered the possible birthplace of King Henry VII at Pembroke Castle in Pembrokeshire, Wales.
Pembroke Castle was founded during the 11th century by Roger de Montgomerie, the 1st Earl of Shrewsbury.
In 1452, Jasper Tudor was presented both the castle and the earldom by his half-brother, King Henry VI. In 1457, Henry VII was born at the castle, the only child of Lady Margaret Beaufort and Edmund Tudor, 1st Earl of Richmond.
Following Edward IV’s ascension to the throne in 1471, Henry VII endured 14 years of exile in Brittany. He eventually claimed the throne after his forces, with backing from France, Scotland, and Wales, emerged victorious over Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth Field, marking the climax of the Wars of the Roses.
Henry VII’s reign is credited with many administrative, economic, and tax reforms, having ruled for nearly 24 years until his death in 1509 at the age of 52. Henry VII was succeed by his second son, Henry, Duke of York, who ascended to the crown as Henry VIII.
Historians have long assumed that a 13th century tower on the outer ward (known today as Henry VII Tower) was the birth place of Henry VII. However, a recent study by the Dyfed Archaeological Trust has uncovered evidence of a late-medieval winged hall-house, broadly dating to the 15th century.
The walls of the structure extend to around 25 metres, with comparisons being drawn to medieval buildings found in England and East Wales, such as Penallt Mansion in Kidwelly. Historically, Pembroke Castle was situated in the English-speaking portion of Pembrokeshire, often referred to as “Little England beyond Wales.”
Speaking to the Western Telegraph, Neil Ludlow, a consultant to Pembroke Castle, said: “All our indications are pointing to a late-medieval building which was clearly of high status within Pembrokeshire, and it looks as if it was at least two-storeys, which possibly makes it a better candidate for the birthplace of a king rather that the tower that currently bears his name.”
Ghosts1 year ago
Zozo: The Ouija Board Demon
Space12 months ago
Scientists claim to have found the answer what existed before the Universe
Archaeology7 months ago
New discoveries at Ekʼ Balam during conservation works
Ghosts1 year ago
Old Coot of Mount Greylock
Ghosts1 year ago
Jumbee: Demons of the Caribbean