Connect with us

Archaeology

New discoveries at Roman shore fort in Haltern am See

Published

on

Archaeologists excavating a Roman shore fort in Haltern am See have discovered that the site was completely rebuilt four times with a different floor plan 2,000-years-ago.

During the Roman period, Haltern am See in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, was a major military fortress and civilian colony. Historians suggest that the fortress was built by the emperor Augustus who named it Aliso.

The fortress was supported by a naval base or shore fort called the Hofestatt (C) on a spur-like terrace that sheltered boats in a natural harbour. The Hofestatt advanced like a peninsula far into the Lippe Valley, where patrol boats and ship transports carrying Roman soldiers docked.

Excavations by the Regional Association of Westphalia-Lippe (LWL) have conducted a study of two neighbouring sites in preparation for planned construction works on the Hofestatt, revealing that the Romans rebuilt the base four times with a different floor plan.

“A” showing Aliso – “B” showing the Hofestatt – Image Credit : D. Jaszczurok & maßwerke GbR

The Hofestatt was extensively built over during the 1950’s, however, the construction project now gives the LWL experts the opportunity to research the archaeological remains using modern methods.

The team also found a large number of pits and ditches, most of which are from the oldest phase of construction showing similarities in plan to the Roman camp at Bergkamen-Oberaden.

Post traces from the third phase were dug vertically into the ground and served as the framework for a wood-earth wall, similar to the reconstructed wood-earth wall in the main fortress (A) found in the Aliso Roman Park in the LWL Roman Museum.

LWL

Header Image Credit : Antiquities Commission for Westphalia

Continue Reading

Archaeology

Trove of Roman objects linked to feasting found at Ostia antica

Published

on

By

Archaeologists have uncovered a trove of Roman objects linked to ritual feasting at Ostia antica.

Ostia Antica is an ancient harbour town located at the mouth of the Tiber River. The harbour served as the main port for Rome, transporting goods and people from the coast along the Via Ostiensis.

Archaeologists recently excavated the area of Regio I – Insula XV, a “sacred area” or precinct housing several temples and sanctuaries. At the centre is the temple of Hercules,  a 31 x 16 metre monument which dates from the Republican Era.

Excavations have revealed a substantial well situated at the base of the temple of Hercules. Upon draining the well, it was discovered to hold a significant collection of objects dating from the 1st to 2nd century AD.

Among the objects are various ceramics, miniatures, lamps, glass containers, fragments of marble, and burnt animal bones (pigs and cattle). According to the archaeologists, the trove corresponds with ritual feasting associated with cult at the temple.

In a press statement by the Ministry of Culture: “The discovery of burnt bones confirms that animal sacrifices were carried out in the sanctuary, while the common ceramics, also bearing traces of fire, indicate that the meat was cooked and consumed during banquets in honour of divinity. The remains of one or more ritual meals were thrown into the well, the last ones probably when their function had ceased.”

Header Image Credit : Ministry of Culture

Sources : Ministry of Culture

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Archaeology

Labyrinthine structure discovered from the Minoan civilisation

Published

on

By

Archaeologists have discovered a monumental labyrinthine structure on the summit of Papoura Hill in Crete.

The discovery was made during the installation of a radar system in preparation for the construction of a new airport in the area.

According to experts, the structure dates from between 2000 to 1700 BC shortly before or at the start of the palaeopalatial Minoan period.

The Minoan civilisation was a Bronze Age culture that emerged on the island of Crete around 3100 BC. The culture is known for the monumental architecture and energetic art, and is often regarded as the first civilisation in Europe.

Image Credit : Greek Ministry of Culture

The chronology of the Minoans is characterised into three distinct phases – Early Minoan (EM), Middle Minoan (MM), and Late Minoan (LM).

The palaeopalatial structure is part of the MMI – II grouping in the Middle Minoan, a period in which the first palaces were built and saw the development of the Minoan writing systems, Cretan hieroglyphic and Linear A.

The structure comprises of 8 concentric stone rings that converge on a central circular building. The entire diameter of the complex measures 48 metres and covers an area of approximately 1800 square metres.

Within the central structure are four designated zones in which radial walls intersect vertically and form a labyrinthine structure. Zones A and B appear to be have the main concentration of human activity, evidenced by the presence of large amounts of animals bones.

According to the experts, this residential area likely had a truncated cone or vaulted appearance and is the first monument of this type excavated in Crete. It can perhaps be paralleled with the elliptical MM building of the Chamezi Archaeological Site, as well as with the so-called circular proto-Hellenic cyclopean building of Tiryns.

The Minister of Culture, said: “This is a unique and highly significant find. Solutions are in place to ensure the completion of the archaeological research and the protection of the monument.”

Header Image Credit : Greek Ministry of Culture

Sources : Greek Ministry of Culture

This content was originally published on www.heritagedaily.com – © 2023 – HeritageDaily

Continue Reading

Trending

Generated by Feedzy